The Suzanne Burnham Scholarship
Sue Burnham was a highly skilled and dedicated educator, at both secondary and tertiary level. She inspired countless numbers of teachers and students through her instruction and her stellar example. She was also the author of a very successful series of secondary school textbooks. Sue was always very interested in and encouraging of young people and would be very happy to be associated with the Children of Phoenix program.
Scholarships for 2022 are Now Closed!
Children of Phoenix Educational Scholarship applications are open to Australian Residents who are survivors of childhood sexual assault and are ready to continue or further their education.
Applicants need to demonstrate how their education was disrupted as a consequence of childhood abuse to help the Scholarship Committee assess applications. Children of Phoenix educational scholarships are provided for primary school, high school, university and also vocational/adult community education levels.
Applications close: 1st November 2021
Children of Phoenix, is an empathetic and trusted National Organisation focused on:
- Effecting legal and policy reform to ensure fair and equitable treatment of survivors of sexual abuse
- Promoting the value of education in rebuilding life after abuse
- Facilitating educational opportunities for survivors of sexual abuse
To deliver specialized, quality and ongoing support to members of the community through sensitive responses to the needs of all clients.
To offer a comfortable, appropriate and safe environment; operating with the upmost discretion, security and privacy.
Integrity and Empathy
A commitment to serving with honesty, respect, trust, care and compassion.
To treat all with fairness and integrity.
To provide continual education, direction and guidance to the wider community on issues of child sexual abuse.
What Children of Phoenix Scholarships can and cannot fund:
- School uniforms; camps and excursions; after school programs and extracurricular activities; sport; transport to and from school; tutoring; school fees.
- Computer and internet access; items from book lists; uniforms; fees; extracurricular activities; clothing to a specified amount; excursions and camps; advice on part time work opportunities; tutoring; travel passes.
- Mobile phones
- Books and educational needs; fees (if mandatory & upfront); advise on part time work; travel passes; computer and internet access; relevant voluntary opportunities to extend work experience
- Living expenses; clothing
- Fees; computer and internet; books and educational requirements of the course to be undertaken; travel costs related to study.
- Living expenses; clothing
Please note: Educational scholarships are capped and materials and fees funded will be limited to the maximum scholarship cap as set by the foundation.
How to apply for a scholarship:
Children of Phoenix can offer advice and assistance to applicants at any stage of this process. Applicants should not feel alone or isolated.
A counselor or other professional will need to complete the referee questionnaire with the survivor. It is preferred that the professional person is known to and is currently assisting the applicant. Unfortunately we cannot accept parents, guardians or other family members completing these forms.
The survivor is to complete the applicant’s questionnaire with assistance from the professional person. Both this document and the referral document need to be either emailed or sent to Children of Phoenix together and must be received by the 1st of November 2021.
The Children of Phoenix Scholarship Committee will select potential scholarship recipients from the applications received.
An informal interview will be conducted with potential scholarship recipients by the members of the scholarship working party.
All applicants will receive notification as to whether the request for assistance has been successful for the current funding round.
For information and assistance in completing your application form contact please contact us at Children of Phoenix:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Write: P.O. BOX 8191, Croydon. VIC. 3136. Australia.